The M09 is the result of a new approach by the UoA FSAE team. Some engine power has been traded off in order to improve fuel economy, with a smaller 450cc engine. In order to reduce centre of gravity height, the engine and drivetrain are a significant departure from a typical FSAE car. The powertrain consists of a custom engine and transaxle, utilising numerous components from Yamaha WR450 and YZ450F motorbikes. The package significantly reduces centre of gravity height, allowing a narrower track width and a more nimble car.
Other areas of the car have undergone significant redesigns in a search for better on-track performance. This has included a completely new approach to the suspension kinematics and a redesign of the unsprung assemblies.
- Mass: 185kg (Wet)
- Power: 46 HP
- Torque: 42 Nm
- Track width: 1000m
- Wheelbase: 1530mm
- Max. cornering acceleration: 1.5g
- Max. longitudinal acceleration: 0.6g
- Max. longitudinal deceleration: 1.5g
- Custom 'V-Single' engine package, based off the Yamaha WR450, 450cc single cylinder engine
- Plunger-style throttle
- Dry sump oiling system, with the pumps designed in-house.
- External alternator
- Fibreglass oil and fuel tanks
- 4 speed transaxle, utilising components from the Yamaha YZF450 engine
- Integrated Clutch Pack LSD
- Quick change drive ratio
- Aluminium tripod housings
- Lithium Ion battery pack.
- Autronic SM4 ECU with Launch/Traction Control.
- M&W Pro-14 CDI.
- LCD touchscreen dash designed inhouse, giving complete access to the DAQ system
- Electronic gear shifter
- Improved Data Acquisition System, with over 40 sensors logged.
- Goodyear D2696, 20x7-13 tyres
- Double wishbone suspension, with pullrod actuated dampers front and pushrod rear
- AP Racing CP4226 calipers with floating brake discs
- Modular unsprung assemblies, with the same uprights, spindles and brakes on all corners
- Koni 2812 MKII dampers, valved to team specifications
- Carbon fibre mounting clevises
- In-house designed steering rack
- Pre-impregnated carbon fibre monocoque with Nomex and aluminium core.
- Integrated pedal-box bulkhead and seat back for increased stiffness
- 3rd - Skidpad
- 3rd - Engineering Design